[csw-maintainers] Support for multiple Python versions

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Oct 15 20:15:18 CEST 2010

On 10/14/10, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Thu Oct 14 20:00:08
> -0400 2010:
>
>> Hard to upgrade by replacing.  Would be easier with an overlap:
>> introduce the new one, build modules for it, then retire the old one
>> when the time comes.
>
> Lets look at the Debian Python Policy.  It seems pretty sound and I'd
> put it forward as a good (proven, working) model:
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/ch-python.html#s-versions
>
> I like the wording:

that is a VERY long document, and it is a front for a VERY complex system.
It is dangerous for you to just quote one small part of it.

Areas of concern: It references something most people, if not all
people, on this list,  are completely unfamiliar with:
debian "python-support" and "python-central" packages.

I suspect there is a whole special framework in that.. somewhat
similar to our current python class action script, but even more
complicated.
Do you want to research and summarize that further for us?
Or Maciej?