[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils splitting

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Oct 19 18:01:34 CEST 2010

On 10/19/10, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 14/10/10, 17:27:29, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
>
>> Lets say a site is very security concious, and only uses a handful of
>> our package, and they only need one or two of the long time "core" CAS
>> scripts.
>> They could install the global-zone cas package once... then go through
>> a bunch of zone level package upgrades without hassle, over the time
>> period of a year.
>
> Aside from the global zone pollution and micro management package issues,
> it goes wrong when you add new one or the user needs one that hasn't
> been installed.  With a single package it will baulk and not fail in
> error.

That is certainly true.
The issue is a "zero sum game". Either one side wins, or the other
does, and there is no middle ground.
So the issue then becomes an issue of what we think the most common cases are.
At the time when the last discussion happened, there had been a LOT of
updates to cswclassxxx scripts. (but not of "core" scripts).  Given
that background, the "common case" seemed to be favouring frequent
updates of lesser/new/non-critical scripts, with stability of "core"
scripts such as cswpreserveconf.
I think that is still the case, although changes are less frequent now.
Would you agree the above is true?