[csw-maintainers] The minimal version of gnupg

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Oct 19 20:18:00 CEST 2010

On 10/19/10, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Working through GPG related packages Dago and I have stumbled upon a
> minimal version of GPG series 1.x:
>
> http://www.opencsw.org/packages/gnupg_minimal/
>
> I'm personally unaware of any scenario under which keeping gnupg is a
> necessity.  Is anyone on the mailing list aware of any scenario under
> which the minimal version of GPG is necessary?  If not, I'd be
> inclined to remove this package from the catalog to reduce maintenance
> load.

packages are rarely "neccessary", but they are often "useful".

It appears that the purpose of the gnupu_minimal" package, got
corrupted in its last rebuild.
It is supposed to avoid dependancies such as openldap_rt.
In theory, even things like the curl_rt, since that itself, also pulls
in openldap_rt.
And that pulls in sasl. and openssl....

Since gnupg is useful in the core of what we do: (pkg-get and pkgutil
both use it), I think it is beneficial to our users to provide a
"minimal" package of it, so as to minimize the number of required
packages to install, before using our package transfer mechanisms
securely.

It would be very nice if you or Dago could rebuild it "properly", with
reduced dependencies.