[csw-maintainers] Packaging gems and package naming conventions

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 21 15:19:05 CEST 2010

No dia 21 de Outubro de 2010 10:20, Dagobert Michelsen
<dam at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> Am 21.10.2010 um 11:11 schrieb Oliver Kiddle:
>>
>> If we
>> ever do that, we should add options like dpkg --get-selections where the
>> output is for the consumption of a script rather than a human.
>
> There are other feasible approaches to make it human readable like
> defining a maximum column width and either simple concat longer ones
> (wouldn't require a special machine-readable option)

Yes, I think it's a good thing to distinguish between presentation and
data itself.  Fitting information on a 80-column terminal is a
separate issue from having the information in the first place.  You
can come up with a number of algorithms to fit that information on the
screen.  I believe that having a consistent mapping between sonames
and package names is more valuable than the absence of a text
formatting step.