[csw-maintainers] question on libtool and -xnorunpath

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Oct 25 23:43:33 CEST 2010

I've been messing around with some GNU software at work,and I hit the
following issue:

(when you are starting with a full autoconf ./configure type software
distribution...)
Does anyone know how to coax libtool into accepting -norunpath, JUST
at link time?

The program in question uses, in its makefile,

libtool --mode=link --tag=CXX

I cant just use LDFLAGS=-norunpath, because that would break plain C programs
Putting it in CXXFLAGS "works" (after using our libtool patches). but
it is really annoying with the repeated whines from the compiler,
"CC: Warning: Option -xnorunpath passed to ld, if ld is invoked,
ignored otherwise"

Has anyone come up with a better solution?