[csw-maintainers] Easify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Sep 21 20:27:28 CEST 2010

On 9/21/10, Gordon Marler <gmarler at opencsw.org> wrote:

>>> any of the /{usr,opt}/sfw packages.  Frankly, I've never actually been
>>> to a place that installed them by default.
>>>
>> ??
>>
> While Solaris 10 may require *some* packages that deliver payloads to
> /usr/sfw to be installed, wget is not one of them.  Across 1400 Solaris
> 10 systems I have access to, only 3 or 4 of them have had that
> particular package installed.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit. You went from
"[you shouldnt assume that] any of the /usr/sfw packages are
installed", to [some of them can be expected].

But, that being said, I can understand how wget might not be included
in a system install.
I'm just disagreeing on a solution to the issue of "let's provdide one
stop bootstrapping for opencsw".

It seems like this issue has been a little misrepresented.
We already HAVE "one line bootstrapping" via the pkgutil method.
One that is already mentioned on our web site:

# pkgadd -d http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/pkgutil-`uname -p`.pkg

This doesnt seem complicated to me. A one line cut-n-paste. Easy.