[csw-maintainers] Simplify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 22 10:57:49 CEST 2010

On 21/09/10, 21:02:35, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] Easify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server:

> 2: this was already fully discussed and debated on the list a year or
> three ago, and the issue was settled, by general consensus of the
> maintainers: "ARCH=all" means "no binaries". You already know this,
> since you were "there"  :), and also you mentioned you have recently
> reviewed the archives.

Pardon me for not recalling the thread but "ARCH=all" means what it
says and not "binaries=none", just as ARCH=i386 does not mean it
contains only i386 files and no amd64.  Provided that a package
works correctly on all architectures (through some mechanism like
iaexec) then it's suitable for all architectures (or those stated).

Interestingly the man page for pkginfo(4) makes no mention of "all":

                              "Third  party  application software
         should restrict itself to ARCH values from the following
         Solaris-supported  instruction  set architectures (uname
         -p): sparc, i386, and ppc."

Of course isalist could always end with "all" or "any", assuming some
generic exec is provided.

James.