[csw-maintainers] Simplify OpenCSW bootstrapping on a server

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Sep 22 18:36:31 CEST 2010

On 9/22/10, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Pardon me for not recalling the thread but "ARCH=all" means what it
> says and not "binaries=none", just as ARCH=i386 does not mean it
> contains only i386 files and no amd64.

amd64 is in the same architecture "family" as i386, so I dont see any
relevant conflict in that comparison.
The prior (very old) thread did explicitly agree, AFAIR, that for
opencsw purposes, it does mean "binaries=none".

> Interestingly the man page for pkginfo(4) makes no mention of "all":

However, it is a clear de-facto standard employed by sun.
For example, the following packages in the solaris distribution:

SUNWjdmk-base
SUNWjhdem
SUNWjhdev
SUNWjhdoc
SUNWjhrt
SUNWmlibk

These are all "ARCH=all" as defined by the the pkginfo .

>                               "Third  party  application software
>          should restrict itself to ARCH values from the following
>          Solaris-supported  instruction  set architectures (uname
>          -p): sparc, i386, and ppc."

and you'll notice that "ppc" is a valid "ARCH". Therefore, if you're
going by strict definitions, something cannot claim to support "all"
ARCH values, unless it supports ppc.
Does the package in question do that? :-}