[csw-maintainers] apache2 update issue

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Sep 29 18:16:45 CEST 2010

On 9/28/10, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> When the new packages come along, alternatives balks at creating the
> symlinks required due to an existing binary...this is good, but leaves
> the wrong httpd in place.
>
> I suspect that the only good solution is a preinstall script for the
> new CSWapache2 that will do:
>
> HTTPD=$PKG_INSTALL_ROOT/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd
> PKG_INSTALL_ROOT=
> [ -x "$HTTPD" ] && rm -f "$HTTPD"
>
> Anyone got a more creative idea for handling this?

creative idea: dont use alternatives. Or at least, not on that path.
Put that path as a "real file" wrapper of some kind. Then you could
either put some kind of "alternatives" type logic in the wrapper, or
merely have it exec some other path that is implemented with the
alternatives package.
/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/httpd.bin

?

(personally, I'd favor the "straight wrapper, forget about
alternatives" approach, but I dont care either way)