[csw-maintainers] apache2 installation issue

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Apr 2 16:41:39 CEST 2011

Excerpts from jeff's message of Fri Apr 01 16:57:17 -0400 2011:

Hi Jeff,

> FYI: I just ran a CSW update.  I have apache2 installed here but it
> is disabled.  The update removed CSWapache2rt and CSWapache2 and
> then installed CSWapache2c and CSWapache2.  Apparently CSWWapache2rt
> is no longer necessary as it contains only two text files.

But it did get installed, right?  Packages depend on it still, so it
can't go away.  If it didn't get pulled in, that's an error.

> (Aside: apache2 may have been previously installed due to some other
> package dependency from long ago, but I just checked and currently
> there does not seem to be anything depending upon it, so I should
> probably just uninstall the package.)

This was one hurdle in getting my update out the door.  There are
packages that depend on all of:

CSWapache2
CSWapache2c
CSWapache2rt
CSWap2prefork

The interdependencies among those made for lots of fun.

> I haven't examined things closely, but apparently there is a
> post-install script for CSWapache2 that tries to do something, and
> displayed a message something like:
>
>     Examining configuration files:

The postinstall script for CSWapache2 does:

1. Install config files from .CSW templates if live version not found.
2. Generates a dummy ssl key.
3. Creates the var/run directory if it's not there (in the bad
   location).

There really isn't anything going on that should cause a hang.  The
service manipulation is done by cswinitsmf when the init script is
delivered.  That should happen before the postinstall script[1] runs.
I need to move template handling to a CAS, but that's something I
wanted to address separately since I had enough open issues to deal
with for this update.

> I terminated the installation, which appears to have otherwise been
> successful.  I mention this only so that the post-install script can
> be examined and improved so as not to hang under these conditions.

I don't see anything in your description of this that immediately
stands out as a problem.

Can you reproduce this on another system?

Thanks
-Ben

[1] If autoenable_daemons is on, starting cswapache2 could fail on a
    clean installation as the live versions of the config wouldn't be
    in place, but that doesn't describe your scenario, I don't think.