[csw-maintainers] Catalog generation date information in catalog/pkgutil?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 13 19:00:20 CEST 2011

On 13/04/11, 17:06:46, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
[csw-maintainers] Catalog generation date information in
catalog/pkgutil?:

> Although I'm not really sure what good it does you.. it still doesnt
> tell you whether it is "in sync" with the master, which seems to be
> the high level thing that people "really" want. For that, you still
> have to compare one way or the other with "the master".

> One made 2 hours ago, could still be "out of date". contrariwise, one
> made 2 days ago, might still be UP to date.

It allows comparison of different mirrors (or files).  The newest on
one mirror might not be the newest offered by any server.

I can't assume the latest by time stamp is the latest because it's
unreliable which is where my mode rule comes in.

> Sounds like what people would most like, would be a "catalog last
> updated" thingie on our website.
> That may as well just go with the output from "ls -l $CATALOG" rather
> than having to actually parse the catalog  ?

Which is tricky when the server fails give a date or the mirrors have
the wrong time set or someone copies the file without the time stamp.

James.