[csw-maintainers] 64-bit python

Geoff Davis gadavis at opencsw.org
Wed Apr 20 23:35:59 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I am incredibly motivated to get a 64-bit version of python running, as I have a software suite that is now 64-bit only and needs to link against a 64-bit relatively modern python installation (2.6 or greater). Solaris 10 unfortunately ships with Python 2.4, which is too old.

The effort to make a 64-bit version of ImageMagick also looks like it needs a 64-bit python. See http://wiki.opencsw.org/imagemagick and http://wiki.opencsw.org/project-imagemagick64

I see that Maciej had started working on a 64-bit python version but that it's not ready for primetime. What are the catches with getting this ready to go out to the real world?