[csw-maintainers] Catalog generation date information in catalog/pkgutil?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Apr 24 02:28:02 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sat Apr 23 20:21:28 -0400 2011:

> Not exactly. James requested a "standard" label. I requested
> suggestions for a "standard" that is more relevant to us.

Well, I think the standard (/ vs - aside) that James proposed is
perfectly adequate.

# CreationDate: 2011-04-21T20:10:46Z

Perfect.  Concise, easy to parse, conveys all necessary information.

> But meanwhile, a creation timestamp HAS been added to the catalog, if
> you notice.

Yes, I mentioned that I saw 'blah blah date' (too much verbiage, imo).

> FYI, as someone pointed out, the format that James requested, is not
> compliant with the relevant ISO. Because of '/' instead of '-'.

Ok, so lets s/\//-/g and go with that.  I'd then propose that:

# SITEFEATURES gzippedcatalog

becomes

# SiteFeatures: gzippedcatalog

So that it is consistent with CreationDate.

We could then move forwarding with the following format for any future
additions to catalog metadata:

# CamelCaseLabel: value

Work for everyone?

Thanks