[csw-maintainers] Help for newbie creating a new package

Jesse Reynolds jesse at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 3 06:59:37 CEST 2011

Hello

Please forgive my dumbass newbie questions...

I understand that I should use 'mgar newpkg' to create a new package
definition, but it looks like I first need to have created a Makefile, or
some other type of definitions file, for it says;

unstable10x:~/opencsw/rbgems $ mgar newpkg mysql
ERROR: No package build description found in the current directory

(I am trying to create a package for the mysql ruby gem.)

Where should I get a template 'package build description' from, and where
should I place it, before running 'mgar newpkg mysql'?

And then what happens?

Note that so far all I've done is:

- copied ben’s .garrc and modified paths to reference my home dir rather
than his
- run ‘mgar init’ - initialise the opencsw build dir (~/opencsw)
- run ‘mgar up --all’ - fetch the package build descriptions - takes a good
while (many hours!)
- run ‘mgar index’ to create (update) the index of the package build tree

Thank you
Jesse