[csw-maintainers] moving along...

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Aug 7 11:40:29 CEST 2011

Hi Maciej,

Am 04.08.2011 um 19:56 schrieb Maciej Bliziński:
> 2011/8/4 Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org>:
>> 2011/8/4 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>>> So this is where I'll start. Here are the notes about the mantis
>>> speedup project. Sebastian has already done a fair bit of work there.
>>>
>>> http://wiki.opencsw.org/project-mantis-speedup
>>
>> Isn't this a lot of effort if we're anyway switch to Jira or whatever?
>>
>> Couldn't we instead:
>>
>> 1. Register new projects in current Mantis manually when a new package
>> is released (not _that_ frequent)
>> 2. Put the same effort into getting Jira/? working on the side.
>> Installing, testing, migrating.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> It's hard to tell what will require more work, switching to jira or
> taming mantis.  I'm personally not inclined to spearhead the jira
> migration right now (although I would not mind another person doing
> that).  In my experience it's a good idea to make small, effective
> steps.  For example, we could start with a script that doesn't write
> to mantis, but queries both systems and tells you the difference; what
> to do in mantis to bring it to the state that matches the catalog.
> This shouldn't be that hard, and is already a step in the right
> direction.

As I understand it most of the work is updating Mantis and reapplying
the patches. How about making a custom REST interface to Mantis ourselves
which just harcode the structures and modify the database directly?
From the experience of my (read-only) bug viewer interface that shouldn't
be too hard, make a clean interface for now and won't waste resources
on things we probably won't need later on.