[csw-maintainers] GCC 4.6 progress

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 15 17:59:35 CEST 2011

2011/8/15 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org> writes:
>
>> 2011/8/14 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>>> ld: fatal: file liblto_plugin.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory
>>> ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
>>> .libs/liblto_plugin.so.0.0.0
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an idea where to look for diagnostic information?
>>
>> If anyone wants reproduce the problem, all code is committed and
>> available in pkg/gcc4/branches/bootstrap-4.6.
>
> Are you trying to build with Sun's C compiler? (I never succeeded to build
> gcc with that compiler) In the affirmative you'll have a heavy time
> generating the Ada compiler.

Yes, I am trying to get the stage 1 gcc built with Sun Studio. I've
found a proof of concept how to work around the libtool problem above,
but it's not the proper fix yet.

Dago got the 4.3.6 version to build.  Built packages generate a ton of
checkpkg errors, such as sparcv8+ binaries and file conflicts.  It
will take a while to clean all that up.

In general, I find the existing gcc recipe very complex and I'll see
if I can simplify it.

I have a question: What is the rationale behind having the gcc package
split off to so many subpackages? I understand splitting off packages
with the shared libraries, this is required to make the catalog
maintainable. But all the specific compilers? It can't be the disk
space argument, because if you have a development machine, you need to
have a lot of disk space anyway. What is it then? If there is no
really good reason, I would be inclined to switching gcc to a single
package + shared libraries -- this way its maintenance will be much
easier.