[csw-maintainers] web visibility of packages

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 15 18:07:32 CEST 2011

2011/8/15 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
> Excerpts from Maciej Bliziński's message of Mon Aug 15 03:23:02 -0400 2011:
>
>> Done, vendor url and repository url are now in the JSON data
>> structure. See the commit for details.
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/15341
>
> Great!  So this is already stored, it just needed to be spit out in
> the json structure then?  That's how I read the changeset.

Yes.  There are 2 places where the metadata are stored. One is the
pickled Python data structure. This is everything that has been
collected about the package. It is what's used during package checks.
The second place is the mysql schema and tables. A subset of metadata
is put into mysql tables during something I call package
"registration". It essentially means "please mark this package as one
that can be added to catalogs". The gain from having these information
in the tables is that you can use SQL power to query it. To access the
pickled data, you have to unpickle, and unpickling the whole catalog
takes about 8 minutes, while making a table join takes a fraction of a
second. In this case, we're only requesting information about one
package, so it's possible to unpickle it and reach all the data we
want.