[csw-maintainers] [offtopic] git presentation

Oliver Kiddle opk at opencsw.org
Wed Aug 17 19:18:29 CEST 2011

Ben Walton wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm going to be putting together a git presentation for a mostly
> technical audience.  I expect that most of these folks will not have
> used git although a few will have.  I'm curious what those of you who
> use git would present.  What features do you:
>
> find most useful?

rebase in general, in particular, rebase -i and pull --rebase

Having to add all changed files: it solves the old cvs/svn problem of
always forgetting to add new files.

bisect and bundle are also great because they are so simple but solve
certain problems really well.

> find hardest to understand?

The options and subcommand naming: differences between fetch/pull/rebase
pull --rebase. Along with the options to reset, though the following
blog helped on that recently:
http://progit.org/blog.html

> wish you'd learned earlier?
> find most dangerous?

Like Maciej I fell foul of git-svn but once you understand the
limitations, it's fine and actually one of the most useful things if
you're stuck with svn for the master repository.

Oliver