[csw-maintainers] Including -R in pkg-config files

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 11 14:15:52 CET 2011

2011/12/11 Rafael Ostertag <raos at opencsw.org>:
> I got a bug report (http://www.opencsw.org/bugtrack/view.php?id=4437) where
> there is a complain that 'pkg-config --libs' does not include the '-R' flag in
> the output.
>
> Now, I would like to know the policy on this, i.e. do we adjust the .pc files
> to include the -R flag or is it the user's (user as in somebody thirdparty
> linking against our libs) responsibility to add it to the compiler flags? For
> us, since we are using gar, this does not pose a problem, I guess.
>
> Any pointers on this greatly appreciated.

There's no policy on this that I know of. My gut feeling is that it
makes sense to add the -R flag there. I see no obvious downsides, and
it makes things works for downstream developers.

In our case, we keep all libs in /opt/csw/lib, so the -R/opt/csw/lib
flag is there in all GAR builds anyway; but for a different reason. If
you think of a downstream user, the lack of -R/opt/csw/lib means that
any built binaries will be unable to find their libraries.