[csw-maintainers] About *-dev packages

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Dec 13 13:21:43 CET 2011

Hi folks,

I just got a nice idea: derived develpment packages named after bundles.
In GAR it is quite common at the moment to make mistakes in the definition
of BUILD_DEP_PKGS as most are already installed. Additionally, there is no
canonical name for the development packages apart from the *-dev suffix, but
the stem is not easily gettable. To solve this I have the following idea:

1. Make the name of the development package CSW<bundle>-dev
   This was it can be easily associated with the other packages from the bundle
2. *If* there is a development package for a bundle make an entry "i develpkg"
   in the pkgmap so the file gets into /var/sadm/pkg/<pkg>/develpkg to make it
   even more easy to get the name of the development package.

pkgutil could aid it in this with a "always install devel packages on this machine"
if any new packages are requested by looking this info up. Or "purge all
development packages".

Thoughts welcome!