[csw-maintainers] mirroring a subset of pkgs

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 16 10:41:37 CET 2011

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at opencsw.org> wrote:

> pkgutil has the ability to run in download-only mode and collect
> packages for installation later/on other machines
>
> However, it then becomes necessary to manually pkgadd each pkg.gz on the
> target machine - potentially a painful process

But it does output all the commands necessary to pkgadd the packages
in the correct order. You shouldn't have to do more than copy'n'paste
that.

> - should bldcat work on a Linux host?  It chokes on the first line,
> #!/usr/bin/env perl -w and when that is fixed, it gives a bad file
> descriptor error

It's not meant to run on Linux. Some time back I heard of interest in
running pkgutil in download mode on Linux and did a writeup of that
here: http://pkgutil.wikidot.com/use-with-examples#toc8. In pkgutil
2.6 I will also look for wget in /usr/bin so the step with faking the
symlink can be removed.

But downloading just uses some logic and calls wget which is generic.
You can't do anything that involves Solaris pkg tools and bldcat needs
to do pkgtrans so I can't see that working.

/peter