[csw-maintainers] [IRC] Coloring messages from bots

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Dec 29 15:58:57 CET 2011

This may be interesting to IRC users on our channel.

ceeswi, our bot, posts quite a lot of messages lately. Each commit,
wiki page update, or a package upload to the experimental catalog,
result now in a message on the channel. At times, it's easy to miss a
message from a human if it happpens to fall somewhere in between
messages from ceeswi. Here's a tip for irssi users: these settings
will match substrings and color whole lines. This way, it's visually
obvious which posts are from humans, and which ones are not.

/hilight -color %m experimentalpkgs:
/hilight -color %m pkgrepo:
/hilight -color %C ontwitter:
/save

This uses simple regex matching; seems to work reasonably well.
Unfortunately, there's a bug in irssi which causes nick matching (the
-mask option) to not work with full line highlight[1].

I talked to skayser that ceeswi could could itself color the messages.
We might Until then, this should be a viable workaround. I don't have
ready solutions for other IRC clients, but I suppose that it should be
possible in most of the advanced ones. If you know how to do this in
other clients, please post!

Maciej

[1] http://bugs.irssi.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=275