[csw-maintainers] Aliased names vs dummy packages [Was [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs py_webpy]

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 3 03:19:01 CET 2011

Excerpts from Ben Walton's message of Wed Feb 02 21:12:34 -0500 2011:

> Also, I'm thinking to propose   webpy|CSWwebpy-alias =>  py_webpy|CSWpywebpy
> as a naming strategy.
> Slightly "breaks" our     soft|CSWsoft 1-to-1 correlation, but seems
> nicest compromise.

I don't understand the advantage of breaking the consistency?  It
makes it more visible if skimming either the catalog or the
/var/sadm/pkg directory, but otherwise it doesn't offer much.  Are
these common enough activities to warrant breaking the consistency?  I
don't do either of these very often, but maybe others do?

I'm not against the idea though as it doesn't really hurt anything
either.

If we do make the break, I'd suggest going with CSWalias-webpy.  That
would at least have them sort together with any other 'alias'
packages.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks