[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 3 12:00:12 CET 2011

2011/2/3 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> I globally agree with the exception of the handling of private shared
> libraries: it should be optional to put these in a specific directory

If you put a private shared library in /opt/csw/lib, wouldn't it
effectively make it a public one?

Once a library is in /opt/csw/lib, you can add a -l flag to the linker
and link against it in the same way you link against public libraries.
 A private library in /opt/csw/lib sounds like an oxymoron to me.

However, there's nothing that prevents you from putting any shared
library of your choice into /opt/csw/lib, as long as it's packaged
according to the standard - meaning, it's in a separate package.