[csw-maintainers] [policy] Re: [csw-pkgsubmissions] newpkgs rdesktop

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 5 16:44:26 CET 2011

[Moved to maintainers since we're again discussing new policy at
release time while packages are stuck]

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> The REV string is a good place to stick this info though.  It's part
> of the filename, which isn't really useful by itself, but it also
> shows up in pkgparam output.  It's completely trivial to add this
> information to the REV string.

I don't agree, the version string standard is not very well defined
and if you look in the catalog we have some really ugly ones in there.
Doing the compares solely on REV made it possible to get rid of the
"_rev=foo"-uglyness and move it to the first part instead. Introducing
new stuff there may break package tools as well.

My suggestion is to make it clear that we NEVER have anything after
the REV (any number of dot separated numerics) and make it up to the
maintainer to add "p" to the first (version) part if he sees fit. That
part is not used for version comparison so it's up to the maintainer
what's in it.

/peter