[csw-maintainers] [policy] Re: feature patching, and naming

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Feb 5 17:13:16 CET 2011

Note: This thread is about how and when to indicate, "this package has
been feature patched"
(which is not the same as "this package has been patched to compile
under solaris")

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> [Moved to maintainers since we're again discussing new policy at
> release time while packages are stuck]
>
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> The REV string is a good place to stick this info though.  It's part
>> of the filename, which isn't really useful by itself, but it also
>> shows up in pkgparam output.  It's completely trivial to add this
>> information to the REV string.
>
> I don't agree, the version string standard is not very well defined
> and if you look in the catalog we have some really ugly ones in there.
> Doing the compares solely on REV made it possible to get rid of the
> "_rev=foo"-uglyness and move it to the first part instead. Introducing
> new stuff there may break package tools as well.
>
> My suggestion is to make it clear that we NEVER have anything after
> the REV (any number of dot separated numerics) and make it up to the
> maintainer to add "p" to the first (version) part if he sees fit. That
> part is not used for version comparison so it's up to the maintainer
> what's in it.

Are you saying this only because you are concerned whether pkgutil
will handle that condition properly?

I'll remind folks, that one of the big reasons we went to
soft-XXXX,REV=YYYY.MM.DD
format, is that some people were up in arms that the part after the
'soft', and to the left of REV, "must match the upstream version
string exactly".

If we continue to respect that, then seems like the only place left in
pkginfo VERSION string to put this, is at the end.

soft-XXXX,REV=YYYY.MM.DD.p

This should still be easy to parse by programs.

The big issue here, is that whatever special format/offset we pick to
tack on at the end of XXXX.. some software out there might choose to
use the same delimiter.
Case in point: we cant use soft-XXXXp, because openssh decided to use
"p" in their standard version string.