[csw-maintainers] [policy] Re: feature patching, and naming

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Feb 5 17:57:08 CET 2011

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:25 AM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> Case in point: we cant use soft-XXXXp, because openssh decided to use
>> "p" in their standard version string.
>
> Why not? It doesn't have any technical functionality, it's just a
> marker. If Yann saw it necessary he could just tack on "patched" there
> to distinguish it from openssh's use of "p", like:
>
> 5.4p1patched,REV=2010.03.25

1. using the full string "patched' is ugly
2. another software might choose to use "patched" there.

The only way we can 100% safely put something to the left of REV, is
if we use a separator that we choose to be illegal for upstream
software revs.
",p" might work, if both pkgutil and pkg-get wont freak out about the extra ",".

so,    soft-XXXX,p,REV=YYYY.MM.DD
?

(side comment: whatever we use, conceptually becomes "rev=" reborn.
but at least using ",xx" is much less ugly than
   REV=xxxx,rev=yyy)