[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Policy-team

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 7 10:10:23 CET 2011

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> 2011/2/6 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
>> I have an idea about the process of codification of our policy.  The
>> general idea is that we do it together as a community.  One person
>> prepares a change, and sends it out so others can see it and comment
>> on it.  When the change is accepted, it can be committed to the
>> repository.
>>
>> To make the process work smoothly, the person who sent the change,
>> needs to know when is it okay to submit the patch.  On our mailing
>> lists, things usually work the way that whenever a proposal is
>> submitted, comments provided are primarily criticisms.  Proposals are
>> pass when critical voices fade away.
>
> and if they dont?  what triggers a vote? Is there a mandatory
> discusion period length?

A policy is implemented when a majority agreed on it, by consensus or
formal vote, if needed.

> and what is the threshold for a a change in policy to pass? Given our
> small size, I dont think that "simple majority" is a good idea.
> and should we have different voting threshholds for new policies, vs
> changing existing ones?

On the contrary, given our small number I think that the simple majority
is a very good thing. In any truthful elective system those who vote
form the active electoral set and the majority is formed in that set.
--
Peter