[csw-maintainers] [POLICY] Shared library placement proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Feb 8 05:03:39 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Please take the appropriate section, write it in normal-people
>> language as much as possible, and put it on our own pages.
>
> Why the insistence on dumbed-down language?  These documents are aimed
> at maintainers, not the general public.

By saying, that you are saying, "maintainers are 'special': they're
smarter than 'the general public'. The general public is too stupid to
understand our elite documents, we shouldnt bother trying to write
docs for more 'common' people"

Excuse me?
We should be moving away from elitism, not towards it. We need to be
more inclusive.
Putting things in RFC-style language is a major turn-off to potential
maintainers who arent already familiar with that sort of jargon.