[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 10 03:22:56 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Wed Feb 09 10:14:17 -0500 2011:

> "The library needs to have a presence in /opt/csw/lib"
> or "the library needs to be linkable with -L/opt/csw/lib."

I prefer the second wording choice.

> Although personally, i think if we just settle the issue of symlinks
> now vs later, then the writing will be simpler.

I'm of half a mind to agree with this, but... In hopes of actually
getting this piece of the policy completed, I think we should define
it without forcing the symlink direction.

Language such as used above is functional and gets the ability to link
without additional paths passed in.  Additionally, if a package is
ever consolidated back to standard paths, it won't matter anyway since
there will ultimately be file(s) in /opt/csw/lib instead of the old
location.

Thanks