[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 15 04:10:49 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Sun Feb 13 13:35:52 -0500 2011:

> I was hoping this would actually be a timesaver in the long run. or
> at least a hassle saver. If we just vote on this, then if it passes,
> we dont have to argue so much on language for the larger
> proposal. We can use more direct language for it.

We don't need to hassle on the language of the current proposal if we
make it's language neutral either.  Your proposal is not necessary
currently since it's a defacto standard.  It only becomes useful after
we have the requirement to provide library visibility in both
locations.  (Nobody is rushing to move libraries around currently,
although nothing prevents it either.)

> Additionally, I actually hope the "visible from /opt/csw/lib"
> proposal passes.  So I'm not interested in "if it doesnt pass we
> save time". I *want* it to pass :)

Well, let's decide this issue then.  Before going to a vote, is anyone
against the proposal[1] as currently written?  If there are no
dissenters, we can simply make it policy and carry on with this
matter.

> Also, even if the proposal to make it mandatory does not pass...
> people may voluntarily do it.

Correct.

> I'd like to make sure they do it in the way that I see as the most
> consistent with other packages, and generally the better way.

Ok, but I still don't see a need to deal with this before settling the
other manner.

> I dont see it that way. The problem is that there is no "policy" on
> the issue at the moment. Only a "de facto" standard of all packages
> up until now, that subprefixed binaries stay in their
> subprefix. Which everyone up until now has seen as sensible, so
> there was no need to make policy on it previously.  So I would like
> to make the existing behaviour, an official policy standard.

Let's not derail the current effort any further until the original
proposal is settled one way or the other...I'm happy to return to this
after we've completed the first piece.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] http://wiki.opencsw.org/proposal:shared-library-placement