[csw-maintainers] the problem of imapd

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 16 02:43:16 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Feb 15 17:43:50 -0500 2011:

> There is UW imap, aka CSWimap. maintainer, retired

It hasn't been updated since 2003.  Toss it?  (See below...)

> Also, CSWcourierimap. separate maintainer, also retired.

Package hasn't been updated since 2008.  I think this likely has wider
use that the clunky old UW-imap and it's also newer.

> /opt/csw/sbin/imapd
> /opt/csw/libexec/cyrus/imapd
> /opt/csw/bin/imapd

I'd suggest that the binaries and man pages are renamed with a suffix
like .uw or .cyrus, etc.  We can then use alternatives on the man
pages (and the binaries if appropriate).  We'd still need a
coordinated update on this though.

> We might be able to get away with dropping the actual "imapd" part of
> the UW one, but the stuff that comes along with it.. the libraries,
> etc.. are actually critical for some other programs compiling stuff
> with imap clients, if I recall correctly.

This used to be the case, but is it still?  Does anyone know?  I
haven't used it in ages now.

Maciej: does the checkpkg db store info about consumers of libraries?
As you've analyzed the entire catalog set, we could see if something
is still linking against it (without declaring a dependency).

Thanks