[csw-maintainers] GPG Key Vote

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 19 16:43:18 CET 2011

Hi All,

We discussed yesterday briefly the GPG voting issue and arrived at two
concensus points.

1. Nobody here felt the current wording was unfair.

2. As this is not something that is intended to remove control or
   demote or any such negative thing, we are going to add a 4th
   question to the ballot.  That question will be a binary choice that
   allows the voter to say (not exact wording here): the board members
   will directly hold the raw key files or the board members will hold
   the key in shared (n out of p) escrow.

So, the final vote will let you select how many and which positions
should hold the key _and_ how it should be held by those people.

William has asked his colleagues for good software to use for such a
scenario and we'll define this before proceeding.  He has already
received the recommendation for a tool called ssss[1].  It's agreed by
participants at the camp that using a tool such as this is a fine
solution and should address most concerns.

The ballot will be updated when I have a few minutes to do so.

Thanks
-Ben

[1] http://point-at-infinity.org/ssss/