[csw-maintainers] Call for vote: -dev vs. -devel

Geoff Davis gadavis at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 25 04:55:20 CET 2011

Phil,

I'm inclined to agree with you that the pros and cons should be
summarized neatly rather than forcing people to dig into the mailing
list. However, I don't think it's necessary to recall the current ballot
as it stands for a simple matter such as this one. I just re-read this
entire thread, and the pro and con list is very short. Perhaps a wiki
page should be put together for this vote with the pro and cons of the
argument - I certainly don't see the harm in it. Since people have 6
whole days to vote, there is no reason to cancel the ballot, especially
since people can change their minds up until the end of the election.

Elections such as this are (at least from what I can tell from a year
plus of lurking) a relatively new procedure for this group, and there
are bound to be kinks in the process while it gets shaken out.

----

Now, with that out of the way, I'd like to make a more personal
statement. I don't have a horse in this particular race (the -dev versus
-devel issue), so please don't take this as me siding with the board in
some sort of witch-hunt against you.

You strike me as a very smart person who cares about the quality of the
project. However, as a new maintainer, seeing how you interact with
others on this list is incredibly off-putting and makes me less inclined
to contribute to the project.

Unfortunately, you have this habit of stalling discussions out with a
slow trickle of objections over what in the end are often minor issues.
I realize that you're trying to improve things, but it really comes off
in an extremely negative fashion.  I realize that your posts don't exist
in a vacuum - there are others on this list that are combative and
sometimes downright rude. However, none of them post as much as you do.

Since you are a proponent of providing a summary for ballots, please
also consider providing a summary of your objections at the beginning of
a discussion so that others can see the entirety of your point of view
at once, and perhaps let the small stuff go. Otherwise, it just looks
like you are trying to kill the discussion with a thousand cuts.