[csw-maintainers] FreeRADIUS and it's baroque configuration

Geoff Davis gadavis at opencsw.org
Fri Feb 25 07:14:58 CET 2011

Hi all,

I'm wondering if I can get a little advice on how best to handle the
FreeRADIUS package. This package has been abandoned, and there are quite
a few requests for a version bump. I've got a new set of packages
sitting in experimental, but I'm battling it's baroque configuration files.

FreeRADIUS is similar in complexity to Apache - there are a ton of ways
to configure it, and no one site is going to do it the same way. The
source archive includes a complicated initial configuration, which was
evidently written by multiple people. It's huge: 109 separate files in
this example configuration, plus 8 symlinks.

It uses two different methods for enabling and disabling functionality.
There is a sites-available/sites-enabled approach like Apache, which
plays ok with CSWpreserveconf. The other method is far more traditional
directory containing various modules, without an easy way to
enable/disable them. CSWpreserveconf doesn't like this setup at all and
puts in a bunch of foo and foo.CSW files, which results in the
configuration for "foo" getting effectively included twice.

Since this package is complex to configure, the example configuration is
ridiculously huge, and I'm not quite sure what a default use case for it
would be, I'm tempted to just ship it without a working configuration at
all, and let the user copy the example configuration down from
/opt/csw/share/doc/CSWfreeradius/exampleconf or something similar.

Is shipping this package with an example config not installed in
/etc/opt/csw OK to do? I seem to remember seeing a document on the wiki
somewhere claming something to that effect - probably one of the
auto-start daemon options, but no real formal guidance.