[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 1 13:43:25 CET 2011

No dia 1 de Janeiro de 2011 11:05, Peter FELECAN
<pfelecan at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> The policies has the maintainers as the sole public. If somebody is
> interested by these discussion s/he can subscribe.

Would it mean that once I'm subscribed, I can read all the archives?
We don't have that at the moment, AFAIK.

> The user is a
> fallacious public brought up only when cornered.
>
> Why do you think that Debian, among others, has private discussion lists?
>
>>> I'd say that creating the new mailing list should happen when we
>>> notice concrete problems with existing discussions and agree that a
>>> private list would solve them.
>>
>> Also agreed.  If the policy specific volume on maintainers@ becomes a
>> significant proportion, we could split it out at a later time.
>
> I'm worried by the noise that can drown directly or indirectly policy
> discussion as happened so many time in the past.

When you worry about noise, do you mean noise in the policy-related
thread or in other threads?  If it's about other threads, using an
e-mail client which supports threads solves that problem.  If you
worry about noise in the same thread, you're facing a social /
behavioral problem, and technical means are not likely to solve it.
If there's a person making distracting comments in the thread, the
right response is to talk to them and make them behave better.

I'm not saying that there is no place for private discussions, but I'm
not convinced that it makes sense to have a private one for policy
related discussions.  Policy decisions affect the largest group of
people: maintainers and users.  It's important that all affected
parties have read access to these discussions, much the same way in
which the public has access to the parliament debates, both live on TV
and later on in transcripts.