[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 1 18:33:36 CET 2011

Hi All,

Since nobody can point at the original discussion thread where this
'policy' was agreed upon, I'm opening a new discussion for it.

Currently, going forward, Phil is saying that packages shipping
_files_ in /var/opt/csw will be blocked from release.  It should be
noted that _directories_ are ok.  The rationale on this is that 'even
a first level tech support could create directories if required.'

The current backing decision on not shipping files in /var/opt/csw is
centred around our support of a shared /opt/csw.  Please frame the
discussion around this from the viewpoint of a shared /opt/csw as we
have yet to slay that dragon.

So: Who's for, who's against and why do you hold this position?

Thanks