[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Jan 1 19:07:33 CET 2011

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Sat Jan 01 12:50:47 -0500 2011:

> /opt/csw/mysql5/lib/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.15
>
> I don't quite see a reason for this library to be there.  We do

I imagine it stems from wanting to have multiple versions of mysql
installed originally where the things in bin/ would have conflicted.
It seems that alternatives would make this no longer necessary.  I
think the only thing that might need a bit of work to re-integrate
might be the devel packages.

Things that depend on the mysql libs should also have /opt/csw/lib in
the RPATH, so moving the files shouldn't break things.  This may not
hold for things like the ruby mysql gem (I'd need to look at what it
does when it builds), or maybe the perl/python equivalents, etc.

> libmysqlclient.so.16.  There will be no issues related to coexisting
> multiple MySQL versions.  Any thoughts on that?  Bad idea?  Good
> idea?

Overall I'm for the change as long as it doesn't have potential to
break a lot of things on people.

Thanks