[csw-maintainers] ITP: opencsw-policy

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 2 04:28:04 CET 2011

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Sat Jan 01 06:05:03 -0500 2011:

Hi Peter,

> The policies has the maintainers as the sole public. If somebody is
> interested by these discussion s/he can subscribe. The user is a
> fallacious public brought up only when cornered.

Well, as the policy that we set for packaging can have impact on the
users and how those packages will interact with their systems, I think
they might have an interest.  Granted, most won't.

I'm not wholly against a private list for this, but I'm perfectly
comfortable having these decisions made in the open as well.  Maciej's
point about not having a URL that can be referenced or an archive that
can be skimmed is also valid here.

> Why do you think that Debian, among others, has private discussion
> lists?

Maybe they had problems with a 'peanut gallery' early on?

> I'm worried by the noise that can drown directly or indirectly
> policy discussion as happened so many time in the past.

For my mail reading habits, it won't make a difference and I think it
will still be susceptible to the same noise levels as we've seen on
pkgsubmissions/maintainers for these types of things.  It won't have
negative impact on my mail handling though either, so if others think
it's nicer, lets do it.

Would anyone else prefer a separate list?

Thanks