[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 2 15:54:12 CET 2011

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Sat Jan 01 12:59:01 -0500 2011:

Hi Peter,

> I understand the issue with a shared /opt/csw but let me ask before
> that: is the support of a shared /opt/csw an established policy by
> itself? If yes, then we need:

Well, much as I don't personally like it, we had this discussion in
the spring/summer, I believe.  The resulting document is here:
http://wiki.opencsw.org/shared-opt-csw-setup

This is the only place I've found that has any mention of handling
packaged files in /var/opt/csw (the single line in the table).  For
the purpose of this discussion, lets focus only on whether or not
files can be delivered in /var/opt/csw as part of the larger shared
/opt/csw handling.  This will solidify the current shared /opt/csw
policy in the end.  That policy can then be digested as a whole.

> 2. a standardized mechanism to propagate all the stuff created by
>    our packages on the NFS client's /var/opt/csw.

I think this is important.  A postinstall script works for the package
at install time, but really doesn't benefit the admins who want to
replicate this to an NFS client.

> P.S. Looking at your subject line, you propose for the time being to
>      discuss policies on this list and to mark the related threads
>      with the [policy] tag.

Yes, it makes it stand out on the current list until we've finalized
the other discussion.

Thanks