[csw-maintainers] MySQL shared libraries - how about /opt/csw/lib?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 2 16:46:59 CET 2011

No dia 2 de Janeiro de 2011 14:36, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Sat Jan 01 20:18:27 -0500 2011:
>
>> No, it didn't.  If I wanted to suggest anything about binaries, I
>> would write "binaries would be kept under..." and I'd specify the
>> location.
>
> Ok, then I rescind my +1 if only the libraries are to be moved.  I
> also though you meant doing away with the whole mysql{4,5} prefixes
> and using alternatives with some form of binary suffix setup.
>
> What I'd like to see in the multiple mysql arena is:
>
> 1. Use the normal --prefix=/opt/csw at configure time.
> 2. Use a version based suffix on binaries (4, 5, 51).  (Hopefully this
>   is supported by the autoconf for the packages.)
> 3. Have mysql4 provide alternatives at priority 1, 5 -> 2, 5.1 -> 3,
>   etc.

I agree that it's a good idea and I would like the mysql packages to
be packaged that way.  In this proposal, I would like to decouple the
packaging from shared libraries from the rest of mysql packages.  I
would like the mysql shared library packages to stop being special and
different from all other shared library packages.

> If we're only moving the libraries, I don't see much point.  It's
> doable, as you say, but what real value does it provide if we still
> drag around the rest of the version specific directory structure?

It's the divide and conquer idea - it's easier to tackle one problem
at a time.  I would like to deal with shared libraries first, and when
this bit is done, continue with --prefix=/opt/csw.