[csw-maintainers] [ITP] gdb 7.2

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 4 20:40:50 CET 2011

On 1/4/11, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> As nobody answered positively to my question "is somebody working on
> gdb?" of December 20th, I declare the intent to package the new version
> of gdb and consequently take over the package maintenanceship (the
> current maintainer is retired).
>
> Remark that I'm using the [ITP] tag in the subject line to emphasize
> this kind of action.

Note to others:
This is of course "how debian does it". But this sort of thing has not
worked very well for us in the past.
(because some people post "intent", but then never complete the job.
This is not directed at Peter: I'm specifically meaning different
people)

For a package where the maintainer is already marked "retired", any
maintainer can create a package¸and submit it. Once it passes release
manager checks, they then automatically become the new maintainer of
that package.
There is no prerequisite to post "intent" in this case. Results matter
more than "intent" :)