[csw-maintainers] Intents to package

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 4 23:22:05 CET 2011

On 1/4/11, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> There is no prerequisite to post "intent" in this case. Results matter
>> more than "intent" :)
>
> I beg to differ.  What did not work for us in the past (and present) is a
> very late inspection of a package in which all the decisions have been
> already made and all the work has been done.  Imagine a situation in
> which there are 2 ways of making a package, and you have to make the
> design decision first, and then do a lot of work.  If you want to
> change your design decision later on, you basically have to go back to
> the start.  The time to discuss that design is before you do the work,
> not after.

Certainly. But that has nothing to do with announcing "intend to package".
If that sort of problem comes up, it seems straightforward to make a
targetted email,
"I'm looking at packaging X, but run into problem Y. How would people
suggest I solve problem Y"?

the subject should be more about "problem Y". the fact that it is
contained in "package X" is only peripheral information.