[csw-maintainers] [policy] files/dirs in /var/opt/csw

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Jan 6 09:34:33 CET 2011

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On 1/4/11, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jan 03 19:11:26 -0500 2011:
>>
>>> Just to appropriately "cross link" email threads....
>>
>> Ok, lets!
>>
>> I inadvertently found the original[1] conversation while looking for
>> other old threads tonight.  The thread in February was a few messages
>> and then it got picked up again later on[2].  The only mention of the
>> /var/opt stuff was by James, early on.  It was never actually
>> discussed beyond the initial mention.  Therefore, it was not generally
>> agreed as policy at that time.[3]
>
> what you wrote above, can be summarized as, "I found an old thread
> that mentioned /var/opt, but there was no agreement about it at that
> time".
> That is not the same thing as "there was never any agreement by people
> to disallow it".
>
> Both the summer camp writeup you have referenced on it, and the more
> general policy of "we suport shared /opt/csw ", encompass agreements
> that it should not be allowed.
>
> We have THREE board members, but we've only publically heard from one
> on this issue.
> I'd like to see our other two members write something about the above
> two agreements, relating to this issue.

We discussed all this on the submit mailing list (look for the "newpkgs
clamav, libclam6, libclam6_devel" thread starting at
http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/pkgsubmissions/2010-November/001501.html,
continued at
http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/pkgsubmissions/2010-December/001659.html
since October.

You had at least 5 people giving their view on this subject, among them
2 members of the current board. Why do you want specifically the opinion
of the board members? The other maintainers opinion doesn't count?

As for my opinion let me reiterate:

- we can deliver directories and files in /var/opt/csw directly from the
  package prototype
- optionally, a package can deliver a tool to bootstrap a NFS served
  client with that components if that is natural for its domain and the
  maintainer is willing to spend his energy
- if the above mentioned tool doesn't exist the package can declare
  itself non compatible with the NFS mounted /opt/csw

It would be nice if the board organize a vote on this issue and we close
the discussion with a decision.
--
Peter