[csw-maintainers] [ITP] gdb 7.2

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 7 13:47:44 CET 2011

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 04.01.2011 um 20:21 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
>> As nobody answered positively to my question "is somebody working on
>> gdb?" of December 20th, I declare the intent to package the new version
>> of gdb and consequently take over the package maintenanceship (the
>> current maintainer is retired).
>
> Sure, please go ahead. I tried to make an gdb 6.8, but it crashed quite
> often. Additionally, it may be advisable to use the (non-trivial!) patches
> from OpenSolaris for gdb, which are also listed in the gdb description
> in GAR:
>   http://cvs.opensolaris.org/source/xref/sfw/usr/src/cmd/gdb/

The OpenSolaris patches are made for 6.8; I explored the opportunity to
apply them on the 7.2 base and here are the conclusions:

- gdb.solib-svr4.patch

  succeeds but refers to old variable names and the SPARC part is
  already implemented; consequently I cherry pick by hand and adapt to
  the new upstream source

- gdb.fork-child.c.patch

  succeeds but need to be extended to an additional test toward
  /opt/csw/bin/isaexec which will be another patch and, finally a patch
  for replacing any /opt/csw rooted shell by /sbin/sh alleviating the
  issue with libintl dynamic POSIX thread detection

- gdb.auxv.c.patch

  this is already implemented in a more elegant way by upstream; anyhow,
  the patch fails as is.

Finally, I applied 2 minor patches to alleviate configuration issues
related with our compilation chain.
--
Peter