[csw-maintainers] An idea: OpenCSW on FLOSS Weekly

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Jan 9 10:08:57 CET 2011

No dia 23 de Dezembro de 2010 17:55, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> Somewhere in there, should be the idea that in some ways we do things
> better than even IPS :)
> (having a nice unified config file to control whether demons
> autoconfig, for example)
>
> and our nice simple filebased archive. stuff like that.

Yes, sounds good.  There also has been a suggestion to provide a
comparison to alternative package sources such as sunfreeware and
blastwave.

> Also, we need to officially put to rest the issue of our quality
> control, in the sense of , are we in the business of making the "best
> possible" packages? or just "whatever the maintainer feels like"?
> recently, seems like certain people were pushing for "whatever the
> maintainer feels like".
> Which does not look so good for advertising.

I think this topic would be best left out of the interview.  If
pressed, we should answer that there are discussions about quality
control, and present, in an neutral manner, what are the main two
competing opinions.  Using the phrase "whatever the maintainer feels
like" would be just as bad as using "whatever the release manager
feels like".  Please don't stir up any controversies on the podcast.

>> We need to be prepared to answer the following questions:
>> - how many users (give an estimate)
>> - what kinds of users do we have (individual / corporate / institutions)
>
> See my prior comment. If we really are aiming for corporate, as well
> as the above, then we need to *commit* to "best possible".

Same comment; best possible is still a subjective term and we better
avoid this avenue altogether.  The audience isn't corporate, anyway.
I mean, there are certainly sysadmins who work for corporations, but
probably no CTOs.

>> - the size of the developer community
>> - how to get involved / where to find us
>> - good to give some metrics such as numbers of updated packages per month /
>> year
>
> could just check the weekly package announces for that, if they are
> archived somewhers. I think they are.

Does anyone have that data at hand?  William?

>> We would need 2 or 3 people to speak on the show.
>
> I'd be willing to speak, depending on the timezone and particular day
> it falls on.

Excellent!

They record on Wednesday early afternoons Pacific time, about 12:30
PST / 21:30 CET, if I'm not mistaken.  I tried to look it up on the
website, and found a schedule[1] which lists FLOSS Weekly at 09:30
PST, but at the same time, I clearly remember early afternoons
mentioned in a number of podcast episodes, so I'm not sure any more.
In any case, hours are such that they should be reasonable for both
American and European time zones.

Maciej

[1] http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/Schedule