[csw-maintainers] Dependencies on SUNW packages (was: newpkgs libslp1, openslp_devel)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jan 9 17:26:37 CET 2011

On Sun, Jan 9, 2011 at 7:53 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Peter Bonivart's message of Sun Jan 09 09:28:58 -0500 2011:
>
>> +1
>
> +1 from me too.  If we can't reliably use the sun provided libraries
> but can deliver our own, we should.

Are you seriously looking to make this a policy?
You know, "x11" is not "core/required" either.
There are probably others. (not many, I admit, but still)

This goes against a "day 1" method of doing things: if a Solaris
library/program is "available", and it is reasonably assumed to always
be up to date "enough", in the future, then we use it.

yes we duplicate some sun libraries and progs, but only the ones where
sun just doesnt keep their libs/progs up to date enough.

if sun's slp libs are unusably out of date, I have no problem with
shipping our own. But shipping our own, when we dont *need* to, is a
huge change in policy and attitude for opencsw.   I think it would
merit a userbase poll.