[csw-maintainers] [ITP] gdb 7.2

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 10 12:18:23 CET 2011

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

> Hi Peter,
>
> Am 08.01.2011 um 14:06 schrieb Peter FELECAN:
>> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

>>> That would be excellent!!
>>
>> Note that I'll publicly provide the patch only on request from the
>> person who intent to package a new gettext set based on 0.18.1 or
>> greater.
>
> As Ben already did most of the work I'll of course let him the honour
> of submitting it :-) Of course I lend him a hand if necesssary, so
> you can already start patching!

Here are the patches, to apply on the 0.18.1 release of gettext, and the
report that I made to the upstream project
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?32087

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any

Details:

While I package gdb on Solaris 10 for the Open CSW project
(http://www.opencsw.org/) I found that the dynamic detection for
linking with pthread library by creating an ephemeral thread triggers
an assertion in gdb's thread management. This is clearly a bug in gdb
which I'll report on the corresponding system.

However, this behavior can be avoided by changing the detection
method.

Solaris 9 and previous had an issue with defining the POSIX thread
related symbols in libc but with non operational code. For this
reason, a test in the configure process is made in
gettext-runtime/m4/threadlib.m4 and if it detects that we are
configuring on Solaris the dynamic detection in activated in the
threadlib.c code in 3 sub-directories.

On Solaris 10 and later releases the original reason is no more
pertinent as the defined symbols in libc are correct. I tested
this on SPARC and Intel using the code in threadlib.c and without
linking with libpthread.

Consequently I propose a 2 pronged patch:

1. if the package is configured on Solaris 10 or later do not
   activate PTHREAD_IN_USE_DETECTION_HARD.