[csw-maintainers] [website] Front page update

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 12 23:18:48 CET 2011

Hi William,

* William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> wrote:
> I have updated the front page of the web site. I tried to take in
> account most of comments i received. The work is not yet finished,
> especially on the front page i will modify search and feeds links in the
> next day.
>
> Please don't hesitate to send your comments.

some initial feedback/thoughts:

1) News vs. announcements: I am aware of the motivation for different
   categories, but honestly think - and I know that I am repeating
   myself here - that this should be merged in the spirit of simplicity
   / less confusion (especially given our moderate update frequency).

   I could imagine to see this replaced by a section which references
   externals articles, news items, or even Twitter posts. Section name
   "External news & articles", "OpenCSW in the press" or similar.

2) Icon navbar to the right: People will most likely want to install
   our packages when they come to the page for the first time. Thus,
   I would strongly suggest to put "GET IT" first.

   Suggested overall sorting (implies grouping, can we add spacing?):

   GET IT              \
   PACKAGES             -- package related
   SEARCH              /

   FEEDS

   #OPENCSW            \
   BUG TRACKER          --  communication channels
   MAILING LISTS       /

   WIKI

   Or could we further reduce this list by grouping the communication
   channels into a single "SUPPORT Get in touch with us" or similar
   icon which links to http://www.opencsw.org/support/ .. (which in turn
   could then be structured into short sections "Mailing lists", "Bug
   Tracker", ...). Just so that we provide a well selected, short list
   of main navigation entry points on the front page.

3) Releases and updates: Is this going to be filled with our automated
   package release feed? Currently it might give the impression that our
   last released package is from 25th of August.

4) BUG TRACKER. Re-wording suggestion "View or report issues" instead of
   "Access to Mantis".

5) FEEDS. Right navbar entry is fine, but I would suggest to remove the
   redundant Feeds entry from the top navbar.

Sebastian