[csw-maintainers] [website] Front page update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jan 13 02:26:21 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:

> some initial feedback/thoughts:
>
> 1) News vs. announcements: I am aware of the motivation for different
>   categories, but honestly think - and I know that I am repeating
>   myself here - that this should be merged in the spirit of simplicity
>   / less confusion (especially given our moderate update frequency).

I have the opposite opinion. "news" is trivial. When I go to technical
websites, it irritates me when I get my time wasted by "news" that I
dont care about, when I'm only interested in catching up on important
announcements.

If "announcements" are important enough to be designated as such,
rather than news.. then they should be kept in a separate area.
Otherwise, why bother to have a separate designation of
"announcements" in the first place?

>   I could imagine to see this replaced by a section which references
>   externals articles, news items, or even Twitter posts. Section name
>   "External news & articles", "OpenCSW in the press" or similar.

That could be interesting.

   Or could we further reduce this list by grouping the communication
>   channels into a single "SUPPORT Get in touch with us" or similar
>   icon which links to http://www.opencsw.org/support/ .. (which in turn
>   could then be structured into short sections "Mailing lists", "Bug
>   Tracker", ...). Just so that we provide a well selected, short list
>   of main navigation entry points on the front page.

Another idea that sounds good to me.

> 3) Releases and updates: Is this going to be filled with our automated
>   package release feed? Currently it might give the impression that our
>   last released package is from 25th of August.

I think the old "weekly updates" section was more useful.
The weekly html-window generation is stil going on -- its just not
displayed. It could be easily modified to fit any newer desired
formatting.